Acupuncture stimulates the balance and flow of Qi energy to help the healing process.
It is used to balance energy and encourage healing. It involves the insertion of very fine needles through the skin into acupuncture points on the body.
The points used are determined by the part of nervous system or musculoskeletal system they will affect and by determination of use through meridian system assessment.
Anatomical acupuncture is used to treat neuromusculoskeletal disorders and manage symptoms of other conditions.
Some conditions include;
- inflammatory conditions
- neck pain, whiplash
- back pain
- TMJ (jaw) pain
- arthritis (degenerative and inflammatory)
- Autoimmune conditions
- tendonitis/bursitis (ie. Tennis elbow, rotator cuff syndrome, impingements)
- weak or painful muscles
- nerve pain/numbness/tingling (ie. Sciatica, carpal tunnel syndrome, disc herniations)
- systemic difficulties
Acupuncture encourages healing by having a regulatory effect on the body that can induce beneficial physiological and psychological responses.
Some benefits include;
- Pain relief (through the release of neurohormones such as endorphin)
- Decreased inflammation (through the release of cortisol and sensory nerve stimulation to modulate inflammation)
- Decreased nausea
- Normalization of the autonomic nervous system (vasomotor tone, peristalsis, sympathetic/parasympathetic)
- Diverse neuroendocrine and immune responses that help to induce improved mood & energy
- Relaxation & improved wellbeing (through the release of serotonin and other opiate like brain substances (ie. GABA, dopamine)
- Increased functioning of the hormonal system
- Increased circulation
- Athletic performance enhancement
- Decreased recovery time
- Tissue regeneration
- Improved sleep
Feeling good after a treatment should not be taken as full recovery. Be sure that you have regained your strength and healing before engaging in activities you could not perform before the appointment (ie. Lifting weights).
The number of treatments required can vary greatly from one treatment to more depending on the individual and the condition. The needles are generally left in place anywehere from 15-45minutes depending on the condition. Please eat a light meal/snack prior to your treatment.